Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Rising Star

The Internet is a great place to confess things. Nobody knows your name or face. You can say what you want and nobody knows it's true. And if you say something stupid, or don't want to admit something, you never have to face it again. The Internet is very easy to avoid.
I haven't even started up my computer for close to a week. It started off with a crummy little cold (no extra special symptoms, but it looks like I don't have any super resistance to disease) and then there was a family movie night and then stuff. It's easy to find excuses to not log on. But I might as well say this, since I need to think it out and there's no way I'm writing it in a diary people could find. This is as close as I can get to anonymity to protect everyone involved.
There's a new super in Key Largo. He's going by St. Elmo, and he got a sliver of air time in the local news for leading a couple boats to shore during a storm. So far, it looks like he can fly and make green fire. Crackly, electric green fire that doesn't melt things. You see where I'm going with this. I know who he is. There is an awfully short list of suspects who attend my school, live in the room directly above mine, and come from Key Largo. I'm not friends with this guy or anything. But I know his name.
This puts me in a peculiar position. I can bust this guy. If he ever does something stupid while wearing his green cloak, I can make him answer for it in the real world. It would be wrong to out him, of course. It would piss him off, make the super community see me as a dangerous snitch, and put the media microscope on supers attending my school. He's nobody important. His powers don't look awfully dangerous. There is absolutely no reason to share his identity with anybody at all. But I could. I don't want to be someone's watchdog. I don't want to judge him; I don't think I have the right to. What do you do when you've stumbled onto another person's secret? This might be how Dani feels. If she knows. I don't know if she knows, and it's really awful to depend on someone's goodwill or obliviousness to keep a very important secret.
Do I let him know that he got caught? He was being awfully sloppy, letting the green fire reach all the way to my room. But I've made messes with my powers practice before. The guy's gotta learn how to deal with it on his own. Besides, he might see it as a threat. Blackmail or something.
Do I pretend it never happened? That might be for the best. But if he starts getting twitchy around me, I might have to tell him that I know. Besides, I might be missing out on a great resource. We could help each other out. Alibis, tips, costume help. But what if he wants to blackmail me? I need to talk to his friends and the people he's dated. No way am I going to risk this without knowing more about him.

1 comment:

  1. This might be a really good thing. Having someone to confide in is important. Just be careful though.

    ReplyDelete